Do your thoughts ever inhibit you from living fully? Do you ever say something to someone and want to shove those words back in your mouth as soon as they hit the air? Me too. Here is a little food for thought for you to sit with that I have learned along my journey...
1. Not every thought we think is true
2. There are some thoughts that should never be spoken.
Trusting in, and putting in to practice, these two truths has brought me so much freedom and peace. They are also two truths I find myself often reflecting back to my children to help them grow into their best selves.
Think about this...
- If we can realize not every thought we have is true, how much more peace would there be occupying our minds? How much more fully would we live?
- If we chose to speak words that infuse love and life into others, and never let the other thoughts be heard, how much more love would be flowing through our homes and communities?
- This may mean we end up speaking less, but it also means less often we'd experience regret;-)
- Since we would be speaking less, we could choose then to listen more to those around us.
- Stephen Covey said "most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply." What if when we were listening more, we also chose to listen with the intent to understand others?
I invite you to join me and take a moment to...
Pause. Breathe. Pray.
Ask God to take captive every thought that is not rooted in love.
Let us set the intention to choose silence sometimes as an expression of love and when we do speak may we speak the truth in love choosing words that will build others up to be the people they were made to be.
May we choose to be a better listener today; listening with the intent to understand others.
What would a day like this be like?
Try it and find out!
I can speak from experience, it has been transforming for me to put these two thought truths into practice my life. I hope it is the same for you:-)
P.S. I will admit it isn't easy at first but the long term benefits outweigh the initial discomfort:-)
"Be transformed by the renewing of your mind." - Romans 12:2